Verros, The Interregnum
Throughout all of the ages of Gayldeon, and as far as the scrolls and books and human memory lasts, the humans of the Midlands have made their homes in the valleys, plains, and forests of south central Verros, west of the High Mountains and east of the shores of the free cities. Midlanders, as the historians would have it, began time as roving barbarian raiders and tribes raiding the free cities of the Sea Elves and living off the lands, living only where horses would go. However as time went on they began to settle in the river valleys and plains, growing crops instead of swords, and rooting their tribes to the ground. Their tribal ways abandoned, the true beginnings of the kingdoms of man was finally seeded.
The great castles of the kingdom of man, and the houses that call them home, are built on the very site of the first villages of man with the Lords that own them descendant from their ancient builders. The first castles were merely villages with a palisade wall, but with those walls they were able to survive the raids of there fellow tribes and were able to establish a firm hold before all others could join them, which gave them the power they hold today.
Today the Midland Humans have a proud feudal culture and their match it. They are a stout, hardy people that range from the lowliest peasant to the highest of nobleman, each proud of their heritage. Midland humans are usually the least respected of the races however, even the Sea Elves faring better with the other races. They however bear this well, being the most powerful and well established races of Verros, with their kingdom spanning across the southern half of the continent. In the Midland Kingdoms there are six great houses that rule their respective lands within the kingdom, with a King and his city, currently ruled by house Bellvos, rules the kingdom. The rule of the kingdom by a particular house is almost always changed with sword and blood.
For more on the history and houses of the Midland Humans, refer to Kingdoms of the Midlands.
Midland Humans tend towards the physical in their careers, most being very distrustful of those that wield magicks. Most commonly adventurers are hedge knights or the knights of lords that are out to seek glory for themselves and their houses, or if they have no house possibly marry into one. Some are those who have no noble birth or the money or skills to become knights and warriors and are thieves and rogues in the cities of the kingdom. Some are rangers or paladins, wandering the lands and villages helping the people or merely searching for some beast to slay in the name of their gods or their purse. Very few pursue the magicks of the other races though, and wizards are most uncommon and are usually not trusted, regardless of their actions and ways.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Midland humans are hearty, cheery, and silver tongued, but they are often brash and impulsive. They gain a +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, and -2 Wisdom.
- Size: Midland Humans are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Midland Humans are Humanoid with the human subtype.
- Base Speed: Midland Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Midland Humans begin play speaking Common. Midland Humans with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Rylathi, Seawyn, Dwarvish, Orcish, Gnomish, and Tvorsian.
Defensive Racial Traits
- Hardy: Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
- Spell Resistance, Lesser: The Midlands humans are a stubborn people, and are naturally resilient to the magicks of others. They gain spell resistance equal to 6 + their character level.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Silver Tongued: Members of this race gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature’s attitude, they can do so up to three steps rather than just two.
- Knightly: Diplomacy and Ride are always class skills for Midland Humans.
Offense Racial Traits
- Weapon Familiarity: Humans of the Midlands are often skilled knights and mounted warriors. They are skilled swordsman and lancers particularly. Midland Humans are proficient with Arming Swords as they are heavy and deadly while on horseback and with Lances as a knight is ought to be trained with.