Verros, The Interregnum
The Beastmen were born from a combination of foul magic and corruption. They worship strange and untold powers, sacrificing the weak and unfortunate for their personal gain in the eyes of their gods. No one quite knows who created them, but they have have been the boogeymen of childhood stories for centuries, raiding villages in the night, slaughtering the men, and enslaving the women and children for their foul purposes. These creatures stay hidden within the northern forests, stalking the shadows beneath the canopy for their prey.
Their culture is a brutal one, following tribal customs reaching back centuries. Their clans form around a strong warlord, chosen by the elder shamans who see within him strength, power, and decisiveness. They raid villages for blood and sport, capturing human women as mates to produce their corrupted offspring. This foul union is one of the few exceptions in this world; no other two races can produce viable offspring without magickal or alchemical aid. This is likely due to the dark magicks associated with their species birth.
It is rumored that the Beastmen were human once, back in the tribal days after the fall of the Grand Empire. Perhaps in the whirlwind of magicks following the collapse of the old civilization they were created in shock and pain, forging their sadistic tendencies for slaughter and hedonism.
Beastmen adventurers are rare, as few leave the clan for any reason beyond banishment. Owing to the dark magicks involved in their creation and the slaughter their peoples have wrought, no Kingdom or civilization allows them to exist within their boundaries. Perhaps the only place a Beastman might exist in peace is in the dark forests of the north, or in the free cities to the south, where no one has felt the depredations of their kind.
Most commonly Beastmen favor careers such as Barbarians, Fighters, and Rangers. Some become dark Clerics and Sorcerers, or sometimes Oracles. Few or none become Wizards, Rogues, or Paladins. For those who favor magick and physical warfare, Bloodragers and Magi are common.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Beastmen are perceptive and agile, but tend to be dim-witted. They gain a +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and -2 Intelligence.
- Size: Beastmen are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Beastmen are Monstrous Humanoids and as such receive darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
- Base Speed: Beastmen have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Beastmen begin play speaking Infernal. Beastmen with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Common, Orcish, Goblin, Dwarvish, and Seawyn.
Defensive Racial Traits
- Thick Hides: Beastmen have unnatural resistance to physical weapons. They receive a +1 bonus to natural armor.
- Stability: Beastmen are brawny and physically large, granting them a +4 CMD bonus against the bull rush and trip combat maneuvers.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Camouflage: Beastmen are at home stalking the dark forests of the north. They receive a +4 bonus to stealth while within forested terrain.
- Stalker: Stealth and Perception are always class skills for Beastmen.
- Negative Energy Affinity: As creatures created from dark magick, they are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy.